Well the Riesling Competition attracted a whole slew of entries and the central committee has selected two finalists:
1) Ancient history, modern mystery from Ingrid Biesheuvel
2) Join the Riesling revelation from Kwispedoor
By posting a comment on this blog, you may vote for your favourite.
The original story:
Would it be possible to blog again to get votes on either slogan 1 or 2, and we can decide on the winner from the number of votes received.
My top ten advertising slogans of the 20th century:
1. Diamonds are forever (DeBeers)
2. See how it runs (Cerebos salt)
3. The pause that refreshes (Coca-Cola)
4. Tastes great, less filling (Miller Lite)
5. We try harder (Avis)
6. Good to the last drop (Maxwell House)
7. Let your fingers do the walking (Yellow Pages)
8. They taste so good ‘cos they eat so good (Farmer Brown Chickens)
9. Variety is in our nature (WOSA)
10. Chicken of the Sea (Tuna Cannery)
They made millions for the advertising agencies that coined them and billions for the companies behind them. Just Riesling, the SA Riesling Association, would like to do the same thing for their elegant varietal. So Uncorked is hosting a competition to come up with a killer phrase, a stupendous slogan, a magnificent motto to sum up Riesling.
First prize is a mixed case of Riesling donated by Just Riesling plus copy-writing immortality. To enter, simply post a comment by close of business on 28 February. A winner will be chosen by Just Riesling and announced at the end of March.